Recently, I was shipped a temporary evaluation unit for the ioSafe SoloPRO. I checked out the ioSafe Solo product in an earlier review.
These drives are pretty cool. For one, they are HEAVY at 15 pounds. That is good to know in case of a fire or flood that the internal drive will be protected. The SoloPRO series includes an SSD offering, but the unit I will be using for the eval is a 1TB SATA drive.
Here are a few of the specs for the SoloPRO drive (From the ioSafe website):
- Single 3.5 SATA disk: 1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB capacities available
- Quiet forced air cooling
- Multi-platform compatibility with Mac & PC/Windows
- Microsoft Windows Server & Linux (fully supported with eSATA)
- USB 3.0 or eSATA/USB 2.0 Interface
- Fire protection – 1550°F, 1/2 hour per ASTM E119
- Flood / Submersion protection – to 10 feet water depth, 72 hours
- Proven data protection and recovery
- Cable lock or floor mount (This is cool as you can mount it to a surface)
- Kennsington lock interface
The ioSafe series of products also include a Disaster Recovery Service, DRS. This offers you a robust recovery of your data should the drive go through a disaster – or simply fail. This could be due to a drop, disaster or even human error. ioSafe doesn’t make their DRS service projects public, but I’ve been told that they have never had a customer data request that they couldn’t meet.
Look for more on this cool new product, as I’ll set it up in the Rickatron Lab this week!